Friday, August 31, 2012

Laura Harris Bio

Hey, my name is Laura. I'm a 19 year old sophomore studying Communication Design at the School of Art here at Tech.

I've been drawing and painting for as long as I can remember and when I'm not doing that I'm either wasting away hours on the internet, watching TV or playing video games. Another big hobby of mine is sequential art and comic books and one of my long-term goals is to have a career illustrating graphic novels one day. My favorites comic book titles right now are Batwoman, Hellboy, The New Teen Titans, and Uncanny X-Men. Some TV shows I really enjoy are Doctor Who, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and cartoons, lot's and lot's of cartoons.

I love to read, though don't get to nearly as much as I'd like to, and I'd LOVE to be a better writer if only to improve my skills in sequential art. Some of the books I love are Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Game of Thrones by George RR Martin.

I'm pretty excited about Intro to Fiction and that's about it haha.

A few works I've done (sorry if the images are huge)

Design project from a year ago

Last semester's logo assignment

David Bowie portrait from a year ago

7 comments:

  1. Laura, no joke, I got to your David Bowie portrait and gasped out loud. It is gorgeous! And I'm a huge Bowie fan. I knew exactly what it was before I read your caption—you captured him, for sure. Beautiful art. I am jealous.

    About Buffy. So, technically, the Buffy TV series was aimed at my generation (Buffy graduated from high school one year before I did, if I remember right). But I didn't watch the series until I was up all night with a newborn and needed something to watch on Netflix. It. was. awesome. I still can't think about the silent episode at night (you know the one, when those creepy floating guys and their minions went through town stealing everyone's voices?) because the baddies from that episode scared me so badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm a big fan of Bowie's too! It was a fun piece to work on.

      Yeah I was fortunate to start watching Buffy at the age I did (sophomore/junior year of highschool?). It definitely left an impact on me and continues to influence me artistically and really helped to change the way I thought about a lot of things. And yes that episode was called"Hush" and a favorite of mine too. I think it was even nominated for an emmy.

      Delete
  2. I also enjoy drawing from time to time.... even though i am not really good at it. I also enjoyed Hellboy the movie. I look forward to working with you this semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More people should give themselves credit for drawing, I bet you're better at it than you think.
      Yeah Hellboy is definitely one of my favorite movies along with many other Guillermo del Torro films. He's also my favorite superhero hands down.

      Delete
  3. You are really talented! The only thing I can draw is super boring trees and flowers... typical doodles. Excited to get to know you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Trees and flowers are very cool in their own right. And I'm excited to get to know you, too!

      Delete
  4. Your works are incredible. I hope you will have more to show us through out the semester.

    ReplyDelete