Sunday, November 18, 2012

Last Blog Post Adam Serna (Deifferent Roles in BNW)


What is the relationship between the different genders in Brave New World?

 
In today’s society women have worked their way up to be seen as equals or even better than men in some case, whether it be in work force, intellectual sense, or even physically/athletically. In Huxley’s brave new women seem to play an overall less powerful and important role than men, in the government and in the society in general. What is the difference between the roles of men and women in the Huxley’s Brave new world?

The men in Brave new world seem to have much more powerful roles throughout the society compared to women. The person in charge of all of the fetuses that are produced (the Director of Hatcheries) is a man. The most powerful person in the book, a world leader, Mustapha Mond, is also a man. Even the characters who start to build a little bit of reluctance to the utilitarian way of life in the society are men, those being Bernard Marx and Hemholtz Watson. Does Huxley do this to show that men are more capable of thinking outside the box so to speak, more so than women? Why are there no women mentioned in such positions of power like, director of anything, or world leader? What qualities do men posses that women don’t that allows them to be eligible for such positions of power rather than allowing a woman to fill that position?

For my paper that I do over the differences I’d like to try and answer all of the questions I stated above. I would like to go out and research the role of women in today’s society in more depth. I would also like to go out and research the role of women from the earlier years of civilization and see how much their role has changed throughout history, and whether it was for better or for worse. The final thing I would like to research is how women’s roles in society could progress or even regress during the future to see if it matches up with what Huxley describes it as in Brave New World. I think that would be the most interesting thing for me. I’d like to see how women’s roles as well as mens have changed throughout history and what correlations I can find to explain those changes. What where the roles of men and women over the years?  Have roles of men and women changed over the years? How have they changed? Or have they even changed at all? If they have changed, why have they changed?  Answering these questions will allow me to better pinpoint Huxley’s view points on the roles he has put his characters in.

                From what I remember in Brave New World men play a more powerful role such as Directors while woman play what I would call a facilitative role, being nurses and things like that, always being under the men. I would also be interested in seeing if these roles carry into the different castes that the people of the world state are placed into. I can’t remember if only certain genders do certain jobs, so I will have to go back and reread those sections and find out.

                That’s what I’d like to write my paper on, I think it is a good topic being that there are a lot of different views one can have on it, so hopefully I can do a good job of presenting each view.

5 comments:

  1. Alright a couple of things.

    One, in your second paragraph you mentioned all these "roles" you're going to research and trying to discuss and analyze the history of women's place in society is WAY too ambitious for a five page paper. You need to narrow this down way way more, like a a specific example. Maybe try comparing Lenina to a well known woman from 1932, when the book was published.

    Second, you need to back this up with textual evidence. You're right in that male characters obviously drive the story, but is there really zero mention of important female characters, maybe someone at Bernard's party?

    And honestly, with the route you're going I don't see any answer popping up other than the fact that in Huxley's time women were simply thought of as lesser. It's not exactly some big mystery. Would "Brave New Would" have been the same book if Bernard or John or Mustapha were women? Yes it would have but I'm pretty sure Huxley didn't give a crap about equal gender representation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, you put it perfectly,

      Adam, I love that you somewhat wanted to get away from what everyone else was writing about, and I love the idea of a challenge, but I almost feel as if this is too much to take on.

      I understand this is a rough-rough draft, but I feel as though you may be posing more questions than answering. Answering is a huge step to proving an analysis and I just do not think there is enough evidence.

      With that said,
      I think it might be interesting to take on the idea that most characters in the BNW would built to the same capacity (all created). Why were men such movement makers? Why couldn't women be? I think it would be cool to compare how men must leave if they did not want to conform to the society that was made of them.. Could this be somewhat like the movement to America's? They wanted something new, but they were intimidated by it, and we surely do not hear of women when it comes to Columbus and what not. I think that might be an interesting route. I just think that gender roles are not necessarily an apparent theme within this book.

      Great thoughts! I think you just need to head in a different direction. There is much textual evidence to be found in research concerning this topic, but not in BNW. Good Luck! I am sure the final paper will be fabulous!

      Delete
  2. I think the same reason all the men have the most prestigous jobs is because the boom is written by a man in that era. It sounds like you're trying to do a compare /contrast on gender roles of that era and those of today, using a couple characters from the story. It is arguable, but would probably take way too much time, to argue how this novel might differ if it had been written by a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You want to compare the roles of men and women in the novel, right? I think that since you only really have one woman to work with really in this novel, that might not be the best plan. I agree with Laura's suggestion, to focus on Lenina and women of 1932. Or even the different roles between the men of the novel will be good, because they are all ranked differently and treated differently. Either way, I think your topic is a little too broad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I appoligize for my post being super broad, Im not very good at coming up with my own topics and have a hard time getting all my ideas in order to where I can have a final path to go down and write something on. I def appreciate you all stopping and giving your feedback on my post though, they really do help me out alot. I plan to take all of them into cosideration and eventually narrow down my ideas like all of suggested.

    ReplyDelete